Ever woke up one day and asked yourself something among the lines of “where is all my time going? What have I achieved in the past 6 months, year, or decade? What am I doing with my life? Do I want to keep going on like this?”.
Here’s my $0.02.
- Realize that the solution is inside you. Stop expecting things to happen. You are yourself, your body and your mind. Not the place where you live, your bank account or the clothes you wear. Fuck that. Start finding some answers inside. Take some time for introspection. Meditation, long hikes, or even going on a retreat will help you with this step.
- Clean up your life, get rid of everything that is unnecessary, material or otherwise. Get a large trash bag and start throwing away things. If some areas of your home are cluttered, this may be a good opportunity to get rid of some unused stuff. Get rid of those shirts you haven’t worn in 5 years, get rid of this furniture you hate that sits in the middle of your apartment. Get rid of toxic relationships. You will feel lighter, ready to move forward.
- Build a network. Meet new people. Like-minded people. They will feed you with original ideas. Maybe you always dreamed of becoming an entrepreneur? Go to some entrepreneur/startup events, meet some young CEOs and more experienced ones. Talk to them. What are they like? What did they learn? Make friends with them. Get inside their world. This will spark some ideas in your brain, this will help you think about a different future than the routine you are used to.
- Create an alter ego for yourself, find some role models and maybe a mentor or two. This is similar to step #2, except here you want to create durable role models or you want to meet people you will engage with on a regular basis. It doesn’t mean you have to be everything like them. See them as a source of inspiration. They may be more knowledgeable than you in some areas or have some useful pieces of wisdom.
- Keep your body, mind and finances in shape. Start exercising on a regular basis if you aren’t already. Meditate. Do crosswords daily if you have to. Find something. Some habit that will keep you sane and healthy.
- Arm yourself with knowledge. Read books. Get inspired. Anything. Subscribe to blogs, order some books from Amazon or your local library. Start looking for answers for the question you asked yourself in step #1. But don’t overthink things.
- Start creating. Do what you love. This is the most important step. This is the step that will make you move forward in life, that will make you special. Make a list of ten things that you love and you could start doing tomorrow. Then start. Build projects. Smaller ones at first if you have to, then start making bigger plans. Once you pick up momentum, nothing will stop you.